Thursday, August 25, 2005

Essays on the greatest singer-songwriters

Below are the essays written on some of the greatest singer-songwriters of our time. Most of these were written for a literary magazine called Gentleman between 1998 and 2001.

The pieces below are on Bruce Springsteen, Bob Dylan, Van Morrison, Paul Simon, Joni Mitchell, The Beatles, Neil Young, The Velvet Underground, Leonard Cohen, Richard Thomson, R.E.M., John Lennon solo and the Grateful Dead. There is also a tribute piece on George Harrison. Most of the pieces are between 2200 and 2500 words.

The series originally also had pieces on Stevie Wonder, U2, Pink Floyd, Sting and Nirvana but those are not accessible currently; hopefully will be soon.

The objective of these pieces was to pique the curiosity of readers not familiar with this music and introduce the artist through the more accessible albums. To me, these were personal tributes.


Jaideep Varma
August 2005







3 Comments:

Blogger Adam The Prophet said...

hey, I just wanted to say that I really enjoyed your essays. Especially the ones on The Velvet Underground and Neil Young.

3:27 AM  
Blogger Kalyani said...

Hi.
I've read 2 of your essays-the one on Bob Dylan and on Bruce Springsteen, and they were thoroughly involving.
The best part about your essays is that you make these artists sound more human than anything else.
The blog sounds personal,honest, and mostly awe free.Gives a non-listener a chance without making them feel any lesser.Nice.

12:17 AM  
Blogger c’est moi said...

Dear Jaideep, I am one of those who used to wait eagerly for every issue of The Gentleman, and still mourn its demise. The issue on Essential Listening, gave me a springboard to dive deeper into the world of western music... a world that I was just skimmimg, in all honesty, till that issue came out. I took the issue with me to San Francisco, when I was posted there and proceeded to spend two months' salary on compiling a selection of musis from that issue. I am richer for it, and wanted to say Thanks! to you and to everyone who contributed to Gentleman. It is sorely missed.

12:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home